Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Server Maintenance
01-10-2015, 02:10 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2015 11:09 PM by Cirrus.)
Server Maintenance
I'm sorry I haven't been as active as before but I will be working on our shiny new server for the next few weeks. I spoke to a few Linux gurus that I know from work and we will be doing some security updates this weekend and into next week.

I may need some guinea pigs to help out with site access. If you know a lot about Linux and white hat hacking, you could also help us out. The guinea pig procedure would include banning your IP from the site for a few hours or one day to test if you would have access under a special ban, then you would report here if you can or cannot access the site when the ban is set.

I am aware of the 403 error, it should be fixed now. If you can't access the site at any point just give it at most 30 minutes and it will be back up.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2015, 06:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 12:01 AM by Yuuka Kazami.)
RE: Server Maintenance
PICK ME PICK ME I AM A GUINEA PIG

(I am also a flower youkai at this point in time, but that is irrelevant. Also confusing.)

I know enough about Linux to survive and then some but I definitely wouldn't say I'm anywhere near the level of an expert (or guru or whatever) and I know enough about white hat hacking, which is to say that I have absolutely no knowledge on it whatsoever. I don't think I've ever hacked before, although I understand the theory well enough. Just get in contact with me (through the myriad ways I have publicly, or whenever I get on the PO server, even though I go on maybe once a week and even then I get automatically disconnected) and I will be more than willing to help you out.

[Image: Th135Yuuka.gif]
(かざ)()(ゆう)()
I am indeed one who dabbles in flowers.
Is there anything I can help you with?
The hunched shoulders of a man defeated in battle... This is man's true pathos. This truly is dandyism. - Viscount Orloff, Pokémon X and Y
Formerly known as: VMU, 7, Variant
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2015, 10:44 PM
Thanks a lot for the support, Varry. I just need a few things from you ATM:

-Take a look at your PMA, make sure you can see and run queries.
-Check your FTP access and make sure you can connect.
-hit .. in the FTP to make sure you can't go up from your home folder; make sure you can go into your site folders.
-make sure you can create, read and modify files in your site.
-If you happen to know a linux security pro (This goes for anyone else, too), let me know. We might be able to make a deal. I'm not a guru either and I'm learning from one of my nerd friends how to do it all and he's doing most of the configuration.
01-17-2015, 08:20 AM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2015 08:23 AM by Yuuka Kazami.)
Dude, I've never been able to access the PMA, so that's out of the question. I'm guessing that the built-in security settings don't allow a random Hawaiian to touch your Rhode Island technology, which is smart and frustrating at the same time.

FTP access is currently broken for me. I don't know what happened; did the IP change? I currently have it aaaaaas whatever the last IP you sent me was. edit: wait I'm dumb I was never actually using FTP. Why do I have SSH access what is this I don't even

I don't talk to people (nodding and gesturing will get you pretty far) so I don't really know anyone well-versed in Linux, except my professor but it would be awkward to ask an old Russian lady to help out with a Pokemon fansite when I can't even pronounce her name. And I guess CKC could kinda help but he's hardly a security pro. Or a pro of anything except being lazier than me
09-12-2015, 09:12 PM
And that web chat, Cirry? I can't really host the PO server right now because it takes up too much electricity, maybe you could host it? If not, let's talk about chats!

"Y'know...Someday we adults are gonna have to hand this world off to this little scamp and the rest of his generation. But what kinda world are we adults gonna make? What kinda world do we wanna pass to these kids? If we haven't even figured that out ourselves, we're never gonna get anywhere. So are we gonna make a world where everyone can coexist together? Or, after all, is it gonna be a world that we claim by force? One that we fight and scrabble over..." -Team Aqua Archie

Click if you give a damn.
Find all posts by this user
09-17-2015, 11:50 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2015 08:15 AM by Yuuka Kazami.)
Let's talk about chats.

If this webserver can host an XMPP server, we can run something like Candy or converse.js or something using strophe.js, all JavaScript utilities that utilizes XMPP to display chatrooms. Literally the easiest XMPP server to set up, as well as the one I personally use, is Prosody (prosody.im), which is lightweight and remarkably simple to set up. The only problem is I have no idea how to integrate logins from MyBB to the Prosody server. The cool thing about XMPP is that you can actually use something like Pidgin or Xabber or even ChatSecure to log in, as well as being able to access it on a web interface. Check it out when you have time.

That all being said, if we can't run an XMPP server off of the web hosting computer, there's things like AJAX Chat, which comes with integration to MyBB. I haven't used it but it looks interesting enough. IRC is another option, even if it's illegal for me to run a server, because I don't actually have to. There are other options but I don't know if they're good ideas, since I haven't really tried them.

Alternatively, you can try out Matrix. I know nothing about it other than it exists and the website looks nice; I haven't even read the words yet. But that would be a new experience, so that's a plus.

[Image: Th135Yuuka.gif]
(かざ)()(ゆう)()
I am indeed one who dabbles in flowers.
Is there anything I can help you with?
The hunched shoulders of a man defeated in battle... This is man's true pathos. This truly is dandyism. - Viscount Orloff, Pokémon X and Y
Formerly known as: VMU, 7, Variant